What is a blog and why do I need one?
This was one of the first questions I asked when I first came online. In fact I saw a blog as a technical mess about 3 years before I came online in 2009. But then something happened…
I was looking for ways to help my offline business I was promoting at the time. I had a little over 200 people in a juice deal…the reality is there was about 12 of us active….but that’s a story for another time.
What I wanted to know was…do I need this creepy looking thing called a blog. At that time blogs looked like a hot mess. The technical challenged side of me said that I needed a 4 year degree to figure this thing out. The ADD side of me just laughed my butt off at the concept of blogging. I’ll give you two minutes to figure that one out.
But then…this thing called a personal branding blog started to pop up.
It was a much cleaner look…
No screaming flashing images that almost caused an epileptic fit….
So I took the plunge and bought into this thing called a blog.
Let me know if the comments below if you ever felt that way about blogging or getting a blog. Heck…maybe you’re still a little hesitant about the whole thing…
What will I blog about?
Who will come read my content?
How do I attract visitors?
Those are all great questions and honestly…I had these exact questions and MORE! But like I said…something happened.
Within 6 months of setting up my first blog..
I was getting 20-30 comments per article…
Ranked at a page rank of 4 out of 10…
Had an Alexa score of less than 90,000 worldwide…
All with only 30 articles.
I was still defining who I was and what I wanted to talk about and who my target audience was. About 4 months later I had my best week ever over $26,000.
Thanks to my blog…and connecting with people online from all over the world, I started a company and produced two products with 4 other people I never met in real life, until we launched our second product.
So ah yeah….in my opinion…
Blogging works! So if you’re still wondering if blogging is for you…let me give a few reasons why you should take a serious look at getting a blog.
15 Reasons why you should start a blog
1. Big daddy Google and all his search engine friends LOVE blogs over static webpages. Fresh new content if kind of like a big deal in their eyes.
2. Your blog is your online home. Something no one can take away from you. If someone doesn’t like your videos on Youtube…you can get your account shut down. Seriously…it’s happened to me twice! Facebook…same. In fact you don’t get town any of the content you post there. Facebook owns it! Know your rights or you don’t have any.
3. Your blog allows you to reach an audience anytime anywhere for any product. Looking for local customers or global expansion…a blog can reach them for you…24 X 7!
4. Anyone can start a blog. From Dentists to lawyers, from real estate agents to work at home moms.
5. You can blog about anything. Selling any kind of digital product or advise how how to just about anything.
6. Your blog allows you to have an online presence AND provide value to your community.
7. Your blog works for you 24 X 7 X 365 and doesn’t require time off or a dental plan. Think of it this way. Every time you create a piece of content…your giving the world another business card…each and every time. How many business cards can you deliver by hand? How many business cards can you have out on the World Wide Web working for you day in a day out? Yeah…thousands!
8 You blog allows you to create a two way conversation with; peers, current customers, prospects and potential business partners…all at the same time. How many conversations can you have at once?
9 Blogging allows you to really connect and provide something of value to the marketplace. Standing for a cause, explaining your company or personal point of view, standing up for something, standing against something…your blog allows for your voice and message to be heard. Gives meaning to your business.
10. You blogs allows your customers to connect with you at any level you want. Share something personal or fun or meaningful…your customers will get to know you as they scroll over your information and resources.
11. Free and unlimited PR campaigns. Interview others in your niche and be interviewed. Share press releases and updates. You blog working, yep you guessed it…24 X 7 X 365.
12. You blog posts are assets online with an unlimited ROI. When you share you content across the social sites and circles and other blogs…your audience is picking it up and reading the articles or watching the videos.
13. You blog allows you to collaborate with other peers in your area of expertise. Like I shared earlier…I met 4 other people online because of my blog and this lead to 2 products and that $26,000+ week.
14. Blogging allows you to connect with you creative side. By writing your thoughts or shooting, quick easy to digest videos…you’re taping into an area that other entrepreneurs dream of.
15. Your blog can create what’s known as “The Butterfly Affect” This affect loosely translates that a butterfly can flap its wings on one side of the world and a hurricane is produced on the other. Equal to “The Shot Heard around the World” An idea inspired by you can move communities and countries.
I could easily go to 100…but here it is…15 reasons why you should start a blog.
Let me know if you can relate to this story at all or which of the 15 points struck a chord with you. When is now the right time to start your blog