When I first saw Pinterest I knew someday somebody would find a way to leverage this tool to drive traffic to what ever site they wanted.
That was several months ago, when I first saw my daughter scrolling through “girlie” type images. Now let me explain what I mean. My daughter 17 at the time, was “re-pining” images of wedding dressing and recipes. Cool apartment layouts and hip furniture. So before you get all uppity on my “girlie” remark…well now you know where I’m coming from.
And if you’ve been looking Pinterest you can understand what I’m talking about. This site was designed for women.
Or maybe it was the women who just understood it and started using it the most first. Either was you cannot argue this growing phenomenon is not going away. oh there are some out there who don’t get it and that’s ok. But at least now we have some sort of clue as to what it is.
Simply put Pinterest is a site where you can add photo’s and a brief explanation about the image. You’re probably thinking…Something similar to Flicker. And you would be correct. images, social media, viral reposing. But where Flicker stopped (with limitations for the free account) Pinterest picked up the dropped ball and ran with it. This invitation only site has taken social media by storm.
Pinterest By The Numbers
Following a recent report in Agbeat.com it’s stated that Pinterest traffic is out pacing Twitter and Facebook in their early days. However most people understand web 2.0 sites and how to engage them faster than before.
What is most interesting is now some are claiming that the average time spent on Pinterest rivals that of Youtube. Certainly it’s worth noting right. Speaking of Youtube I’ve found that you can upload videos to Pinterest as well. Hmm…can you say “send more viral traffic please?”
Want to get your mind blown with even more Pinterest Stats… check out that board! just don;t get to lost in their just yet.
Ok before I let you in on a little something fun I created for bloggers I should give you brief run down of the terminology.
- Pin – An image that you can upload. Pretty simple. However Pinterest does have Terms and Conditions you might want get familiar with. Basically you should have the right or permission to pin something. Yawn…legal stuff!
- Board – think of a cork board your mom used to have. Yeah you get the idea. Lets take it one little step further. You can create a board for each of the different things you like to pin. they are your categories for all your images…er sorry, pins.
- Re-Pin – Just like sharing a status on Facebook you can “re-pin” a pin on Pinterest. Tread lightly around the terms and you’ll be fine.
- Like – You know this one right? Facebook…
- Comment – Another simple concept. You can leave a comment on someone else’s pi or on your own. Engage with others it’s socially acceptable.
Now for the good stuff…
Pinterest Perpetual Blog Roll
Now lets get to why we’re here. Recently I was taking a closer look at Pinterest. While watching the explosion of this popular site I starting to see how I could leverage Pinterest for my own traffic.
Side note – If you have been following me for any length of time you know that when I find something good I give it away first and then it comes back to me…usually 5-10 fold. Similar to the secret comment group or my Empowered Tribe syndication group on Facebook.
So what do we do about this Pinterest thing that is exploding all around us?
Glad you asked…
We create a Pinterest Perpetual Blog Roll! Doesn’t that just roll off the tongue?!
Let me lay out the simple concept…
First You need to understand the law of reciprocity. You do for others what you want done for you. Got that? Good…
Second you need to understand the leverage model of syndication. Sharing each others content is similar to “re-pinning” each others blogs.
Now here’s where the fun comes in. You send me your blog and picture and a simple bio of your blog and I pin it to my Blog Roll board.
Then I promote YOU BLOG to my list! When you see the emails I send you, you re-pin the blogs to your board. Yeah…this is high interaction but very easy to do. I do most of the work setting up the blogs for US to promote.
It’s a win win win win or a 4 way win….how ever you want to look at it. Here’s what I mean.
- See when you send me your image to pin we mutually agree to Pinterest TOC’s.
- When I upload your pin to my board I’m paying it forward to you.
- When you re-pin the pin on your board that you create you’re paying it forward to someone else.
- When I promote YOU BLOG to my list YOU are getting more visibility.
Now if you got all that and want to play then here’s what we need to do next.
Go to Pinterest Blog Roll and watch the quick video. Sign up and let the re-pinning begin! Oh and if you need an invite shoot me a message…after you have joined.
The Network Dad
P.S. Leave a comment for the community if you are using Pinterest to drive traffic or if you have joined the Pinterest Blog Roll. And if you have a favorite blog you wish to promote share this with them. Together we can leverage Pinterest and create that 4 way win!